Saturday, June 25, 2011

First Entry

First entry- I know! What a boring title for a first blog entry. I will have to get more creative with the in the future.

Since I put up a picture, I might as well explain that now, since the picture could change in the future.
Here's the pic:
As you can see, it's a pointillism of a young lady, dress blowing in the wind. A pointillism is a drawing that is composed of just dots. This piece of art was done by my daughter, Emilie, and the full size is a 3x5 index card. I should really get it mounted and hung. Right now it's on our refrigerator. She did it in a single day in an art class at school. Yes, I know she's a talented kid!

This is the basis for a future quilt, one on my long To-Do List. I've got my Quilting UFO list, my To-Do list, my Neat-Idea-But-I'll-Never-Try-It list. As a quilter, it's always best to keep looking at things from a new prospective. Many times, works of art will give me new inspiration for quilting patterns. Some people like to segment their quilting into only continuous lines, but I find I would rather stop and start than to keep a monotonous pattern. I like free motion quilting, and think that I would never use a pantograph or a groovy board with my Avante, but paying customers may just change my mind about that someday. I want every quilt I do to be like this pointillism, a single unique piece of art.

2 comments:

  1. I like it Shel. Much better than your other one. I like your lists...especially the "I like but never would do" category. I'm following it (might have accidentally signed up twice) and look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck yeah your daughter is talented! I've seen lesser art from people many years her senior - me! lol

    ReplyDelete