Wednesday, August 3, 2011

LoriEl's Quilt Continued

Work in progress: here's how part of it looks stitched:


Because I had to modify the store-bought template to fill the space that I had, I scanned in a good copy of one section of it, then Emilie, my daughter, cleaned the edges up in GIMP, and then copied the sections to make one full pattern. I found that AVERY LABEL SHEETS leftovers (labels used up) make excellent transfer paper. The backs can be printed on, making the pattern 100% consistent for all blocks without having to chalk them and eyeball putting sections together, and it was the easiest of all the papers I tried for transferring patterns. This product rips away cleanly, if you increase the number of stitches per inch. (16 or 18). I have tried several expensive papers meant for this purpose, even the "wash away" ones, and I was frustrated by every single one. Wasted money, unless I find another use for them. This (free!) recycled Avery label paper works great, and since my friend George does a lot of mailings through his business, I have an endless supply of this paper to recycle for patterns. I printed them out on my HP inkjet printer.

5 comments:

  1. What a great upcycle idea! I'm thinking the papers might work well also for foundation paper piecing. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a great job Shelley. Keep it up. Good idea about using the avery labels paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES Debi- I am certain that the Avery paper would work for paper piecing too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All good ideas! How is it coming Shelley? Ready for another picture to be posted yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great idea. Your quilt looks wonderful. I hope I can do as well.

    ReplyDelete